Vacancy Announcement: PROJECT TECHNICAL EXPERT
The Southern African Science Service Centre for Climate Change and Adaptive Land Management (SASSCAL) has been established by five Southern African countries: Angola, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and Zambia with financial support from the Federal Republic of Germany. The Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) is SASSCAL’s main Donor. The overall objective of SASSCAL is to improve the livelihoods of people and to enhance adaptive land use and sustainable economic development in Southern Africa under global change conditions with particular focus on five thematic areas of Agriculture, Biodiversity, Climate, Forestry and Water. SASSCAL focuses on research, capacity development and the provision of appropriate products and services aimed at mitigating and/or dealing with some of the likely impacts of Climate Change.
SASSCAL invites applications for the position of a PROJECT TECHNICAL EXPERT for the H2Atlas-AFRICA project. The H2ATLAS-AFRICA project is centred on assessing the potential of generating Hydrogen Energy in sub-Saharan Africa from the renewable energy resources in the SADC region.
SASSCAL seeks a candidate qualified to lead technical aspects of the project and ensure close collaboration with the H2Atlas National Teams, SASSCAL Management, and SASSCAL staff to define the project scope, goals and making sure that deliverables are met on time. Duty station will be at the Regional Secretariat, in Windhoek, Namibia. Reporting to SASSCAL Executive Director.
- Serve as a focal point for the project to the Regional Technical committee, on technical aspects of the project.
- Maintain oversight of project operations in participating countries.
- Coordinate all project technical activities as approved in the work plan.
- Lead the collating, review and ratification of all data from the region.
- Work collaboratively with all the National Team to ensure timely attainment of deliverables.
- Analyse and provide input and advice to the project staff and team members on project activities.
- Develop and document activity reports, summarizing key activities undertaken, implementation issues/challenges, and key activities.
- Promote and implement best practices.
- Any other tasks related to the project as determined by the Executive Director.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION:
- A Master’s degree in Energy Sciences or related field.
- At least 4 years of professional experience in managing renewable energy projects.
- Proven experience in project management and coordinating multinational research projects.
- Strong networking capabilities and familiarity with international research landscape.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English language (Portuguese would be an added advantage).
Knowledge and experience in renewable energy and energy efficiency policies, legal and regulatory framework. Ability to work effectively under pressure. Ability to maintain pleasant working relationships with individuals of different national and cultural backgrounds. Willingness to travel extensively in the region.
- The deadline for applications is 21 July 2020.
- Applicants should send a cover letter and a CV with details of relevant experience and three traceable referees
- Applications should be sent to:
The Executive Director, Dr. Jane Olwoch
SASSCAL Regional Secretariat
28 Robert Mugabe Avenue (Corner of Robert Mugabe and Newton Street
P.O. Box 87292
Please note that only short-listed applicants will be notified by the 31 July 2020.
For further information, please visit www.sasscal.org