The Southern African Science Service Centre for Climate Change and Adaptive Land Management (SASSCAL) is an initiative of a partnership between Angola, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia and Germany in response to the challenges of global change. The Ministry of Agriculture Water and Forestry (MAWF) is the SASSCAL’s host Ministry Namibia.
MAWF in collaboration with SASSCAL hosted the 1st unprecedented Ministerial Meeting sponsored by the Germany Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) in Windhoek, Namibia, on the 21st of September 2018. The meeting was held under the theme ‘Promoting Science for Sustainable Development’. The proceedings were live streamed and can be viewed at the following link: Ministerial_Meeting_Live_Stream
Outcomes of the meeting:
- The SASSCAL executive Director Dr Jane Olwoch unveiled the “SASSCAL –Promoting Science for Sustainable Development” video.
- The role and relevance of SASSCAL to the regional and international research and development agenda was endorsed.
- The council of ministers pledged their continued support to SASSCAL through funding its operations.
- The council of ministers confirmed their full support of SASSCAL transforming into an international organization in order to strengthen its competitive advantage in its resource mobilisation efforts towards its long-term sustainability.
- BMBF announced that the second phase of SASSCAL (SASSCAL 2.0) call will be out within a few weeks.
- BMBF committed 10 million Euro towards SASSCAL 2.0 Research.
- BMBF committed a further 3 million Euro towards a regional Graduate school in Integrated Water Resources Management.
- The SASSCAL Governing Board committed to continue steering the organisation towards realisation of its “Vision”.
The meeting’s full proceedings can be viewed here.
Visit www.sasscal.org for more information
SASSCAL Marketing and Communications