The Southern African Science Service Centre for Climate Change and Adaptive Land Management (SASSCAL) has been established by five Southern African countries: Angola, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and Zambia with support from the Federal Republic of Germany. The overall objective of SASSCAL is to improve the livelihoods of people and to enhance adaptive land use and sustainable economic development in Southern Africa under global change conditions with particular focus on five thematic areas of Agriculture, Biodiversity, Climate, Forestry and Water. SASSCAL focuses on research, capacity development and the provision of appropriate products and services aimed at mitigating and adapting to some of the likely impacts of Climate Change.
SASSCAL invites applications for the position of SENIOR MANAGER: FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION in its Regional Secretariat, located in Windhoek, Namibia.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Senior Manager Administration and Finance will oversee the Administration and Finance Unit. He or She will lead and oversee the Accounting, Financial Planning and Management, human resources management and administrative support services and guide the staff working in those areas. S/he should be able to work under pressure and multi-task effectively.
- Serve as an advisor to the Executive Director regarding financial and administrative management including procurement of goods and services.
- Serve as contact/advisory person to the Directors at the Regional Secretariat and Programme Coordinators at SASSCAL National Nodes of SASSCAL in the five partner countries concerning administration, financial planning and management, human resources management and procurement.
- Prepare financial reports for the Governing Board of SASSCAL;
- Maintain oversight of the financial operations of SASSCAL and cash flow planning
- Prepare quarterly statements of expenditures, including reconciliation of banks statements and requests to funding institutions,
- Effect the valuation and depreciation of assets,
- Guide HR operations including oversight of all salary operations;
- Organise orderly accounting documentation and have it ready for auditing;
- Be the focal person for the external annual audits and organize the implementation of recommendations made by the Auditor;
- Take responsibility for all work output of the Finance and Administration Officer, the Finance and Administration Assistant and all employees of the Finance and Administration Department.
- Lead the development of systems, and operational modalities (guidelines, tools etc.) in areas of Finance, HR and Administration for the whole institution
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION: A university degree, in one of the following related fields: Accounting, Finance, Business Administration. Registration as Chartered Accountant or in the process of registering is an added advantage. Profound Knowledge of accounting software (preferably QuickBooks) and or any other related software is required.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: Five (5) years of professional experience in financial accounting, establishing financial statements (balance sheet, income statement) budgeting, payroll, and procurement.
Profound knowledge of Namibian rules of accounting, including statutory requirements of a Company 21. Strong financial and computer skills: word processing, Excel spreadsheets, QuickBooks, knowledge of database operations would be an added extra. Excellent written and oral communication skills in English language (Portuguese would be an added advantage)
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to work effectively under pressure. Ability to maintain pleasant working relationships with individuals of different national and cultural backgrounds. Willingness to travel extensively in the region. Knowledge and experience with international accounting standards and international procurement rules is an added advantage. Experience in auditing process and working with international organizations is preferred. Experience in the field of Human Resources Management is an added extra.
- The deadline for applications is 30th April 2020
- Applicants should send a cover letter and a CV with details of relevant experience and three traceable referees
- Applications should be sent to:
The Executive Director, Dr. Jane Olwoch
SASSCAL Regional Secretariat
28 Robert Mugabe Avenue (Corner of Robert Mugabe and Newton Street)
P.O. Box 87292
Please note that only short-listed applicants will be notified by the 11th May 2020.
For further information, please visit www.sasscal.org
Promoting Science for Sustainable Development