VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: COMMUNICATION AND MARKETING OFFICER
SASSCAL invites applications for the position of COMMUNICATION & MARKETING OFFICER in its Regional Secretariat, located in Windhoek, Namibia.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communication & Marketing Officer will manage the communication and marketing functions of SASSCAL. The Communication and Marketing Officer will guide SASSCAL communication by providing information on SASSCAL’s mission, program and activities to the public so as to contribute to the building of a good public image for the organization thereby strengthening the SASSCAL brand.
- Develop a strategy to address SASSCAL’s public information and communication needs.
- Promote SASSCAL’s services and enhance stakeholder and community relations.
- Lead the production of SASSCAL Annual Report, quarterly newsletter, Executive Director and Management reports and regular articles.
- Update the website
- Liaise with Heads of Directorates at Regional and National Offices to gather information on their activities.
- Gather information on the activities of researchers, edit, and direct the production and distribution of informational materials to SASSCAL’s stakeholders.
- Prepare program materials such as, articles, , scripts, brochures, and activity schedules.
- Supervise the production of press kits and arrange for print and electronic media coverage for SASSCAL’s special events.
- Prepare speeches, news releases and official announcements.
- Arrange press conferences and radio and television interviews for SASSCAL officials.
- Establish and maintain liaison with representatives of news media to ensure press coverage of SASSCAL’s events
- Plan and manage the publication of all publicity material to maximise the SASSCAL brand promotion.
- Develop annual marketing plans that show innovative ways of communicating SASSCAL’s message to its publics.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of all marketing activities.
- Plan, develop and deliver campaigns as agreed within approved timescales.
Minimum educational qualification: A Bachelor’s degree in Science Communication or a Natural Science Degree in combination with a degree or diploma in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism degree / diploma or experience thereof. A post graduate qualification in the above or related fields would be a plus. Must have knowledge in.
- Science Communication principles and practices used in the preparation and dissemination of informational and promotional materials in all types of media.
- modern journalistic principles and practices.
- speech writing techniques, including data compilation, research and preparation of final drafts and
- practices and techniques of writing promotional and informational materials.
- Social media principles and practice
Minimum experience required: Three (3) years of relevant professional experience in science communications. Excellent written and oral communication skills in English language (Portuguese would be an added advantage).
Ability to work effectively under pressure. Ability to maintain pleasant working relationships with individuals of different national and cultural backgrounds. Willingness to travel extensively in the region. Experience in similar position with international organizations is preferred. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, the public, local civic and business officials, and representatives of radio and television media and the press.
- The deadline for applications is 16th October 2020.
- Applicants should send a cover letter and a CV with details of relevant experience and three traceable referees.
- Applications should be sent to:
The Executive Director, Dr. Jane Olwoch
SASSCAL Regional Secretariat
28 Robert Mugabe Avenue (Corner of Robert Mugabe and Newton Street)
P. O. Box 87292
Please note that only short-listed applicants will be notified by the 31 November 2020.
For further information, please visit www.sasscal.org